It is hard to believe that this ride was built over seventy years ago. It was one of the first generation of white knuckle rides and proved very popular back in the 1930s.
Robert Edwards ordered the ride new in 1934 at a cost of £1,750. It was delivered to Cheltenham railway station but to raise enough money to pay for its freight Robert Edwards had to open the ride in nearby St. Paul’s Street until he could pay the bill.
It was built in Burton on Trent by Messrs. Orton, Sons and Spooner, who were one of the country’s most prodigious roundabout manufacturers. The ride is 42 feet in diameter, plus the porch and steps, and was decorated in art deco ‘jazz’ style, popular in the 1930s.